Monday, January 24, 2011

Pincushions & Photographs

Lately I've been working on improving all aspects of my photography.    My finished dolls are at a professional photographers studio and aren't currently available to me to use as subjects.  My pincushion dolls are always available and seemed to be the perfect subjects for my latest efforts to take good photos.

For a while I thought I needed a new camera to take better photos.  But after reading a number of "how to" guides I realized that I needed better skills and supporting equipment.  To upgrade my photo stage I bought and hung a seamless backdrop. I also purchased a couple studio lights with umbrella diffusers. I purchased these things from Amazon for around $100.00.  I was surprised at the reasonable prices.

This new equipment has made a difference in the quality of my photos.  The other thing that immediately improved my photographs was that I read my camera's user manual. Why didn't I do that when I bought the camera three years ago?  I'm beginning to understand the range of what my camera can do. Here are my latest efforts:


The background looks great.  Obviously I have to learn more about focus and exposure.  But I am making progress. 

1 comment:

Laurie said...

Wow -- that is a snazzy set up! I use natural light and vintage fabrics as backgrounds, on my kitchen table! Thank you for entering my OWOH giveaway! I will be back to visit!